...

25.3.13

Phobia


"A: Marked and persistent fear that is excessive or unreasonable, cued by the presence or anticipation of a specific object or situation (e.g., flying, heights, animals, receiving an injection, seeing blood)

B: Exposure to the phobic stimulus almost invariably provokes an immediate anxiety response, which may take the form of a situationally bound or situationally predisposed panic attack. Note: In children, the anxiety may be expressed by crying, tantrums, freezing, or clinging

C: The person recognizes that the fear is excessive or unreasonable. Note: In children, this feature may be absent

D: The phobic situation(s) is avoided or else is endured with intense anxiety or distress

E: The avoidance, anxious anticipation or distress in the feared situation(s) interferes significantly with the person’s normal routine, occupational (or academic functioning), or social activities or relationships, or there is marked distress about having the phobia"


A common one. I guess everyone has one or another but I'll have it here anyway because I'm reading.

Trypanophobia, fear of hypodermic needles and things generally made to puncture skin. I know I begged my parents to arrange for me to be generally anaesthesised for vaccination/to administer it at home while I was asleep. I ran away from the health checkup just so I didn't have to take the injection. I cried and two teachers had to pin me to the chair/hug me before they managed to get the needle in. Thinking of needles makes me feel faint and breathless. I think this comes from imagining the needle breaking skin and pumping liquid into me...I feel dizzy imagining it.

Genophobia, fear of sex. I had to be excused from biology lessons with videos of the act of sexual intercourse because I panicked. I still fear intimacy and grow withdrawn when I experience extreme intimacy with the person I'm in a relationship with. It is an obstacle I have had to face in my relationship.

Tokophobia, fear of pregnancy. Was excused from biology lessons with videos of that sort as well, for the same reason. I refuse to be a mother.

Mysophobia, fear of dirt and disease. Not so much dirt. I avoid being near even close friends when they are sick and sometimes arrange not to meet them just to avoid falling sick. I hold my breath when I am around sick people; I try to leave as soon as possible. I have panic attacks imagining the pathogens lurking everywhere.

Er...phobia of caterpillars. Panic attacks seeing them. Pictures of them garner an intense fear response as well.