...

9.12.10

the first day

Day 1: Ten Things You Wanted/Want To Be When You’re Older

I think this prompt leaves you the space to list multiple desires, even if you can only have one. So I'll go ahead and list. "Wanted", after all.

1. Somewhere far off, far high, I dream of being a crazy pop star--wearing whatever I want, performing my heart bare and waiting for people to rip it open, sparking flames and dreams, crying behind a locked door because they won't leave me alone. I will die young. I will die chained; it doesn't matter. I will die free.

2. Most recently, I had an image of myself designing things that actually exist. No more people who breathe paper. Something that I will actually walk within. I come to realise I very much want to be an architect--even though it's never once struck me before.

3. Right now, my grandest, most deeply-rooted and most hopeful dream is to be a film score composer. You'll have to pin that ambition on Michael Giacchino, composer of the Up soundtrack.

4. A secondary dream beneath the film score dream, would be that of game background music composition. And possibly the most feasible, because I (very much to my own disgust) fancy myself at a sufficient standard. Go ahead, shoot me.

5. The original music dream was songwriter. But I think that was killed when I realised: I don't know the name of any songwriter unless he/she sings his/her own songs. This evolved into ambition 1.

6. When I started writing, I felt like I could go anywhere with it. Maybe it's true; I wanted to write for a living. But reality is such a terrible thing sometimes. Novelists don't get anywhere without another job around.

7. There is this deep-rooted love for birds in me, and maybe being an ornithologist wouldn't make me happy. But there's nothing in me that seems to point remotely in that direction.

8. Back in the times when I drew only Pokemon that you couldn't tell were Pokemon, I dreamt of being an artist and selling my works for thousands.

9. If I'm not wrong, my very first dream was to be a veterinarian. I buried that dream, right where it should stay.It's gone. When you're young, you're stupid. It's gone.

10. I want to be remembered. Leave a mark. Have my name spoken at least twenty generations, until we vanish forever. Then I will be nothing: and wanting to be nothing, though the wisest thing to aspire towards, never happens.