...

1.9.12

realisation about two of my original characters

More like the two original characters I've found myself obsessing over to the greatest degree, really: Ketara from OTDOTS and Ruthenia from US.

They're direct antitheses of each other. In fact, they're such perfect opposites I could contrast them point for point. A la biology essay questions, I could create a whole table discussing their differences and similarities but I'm sleepy and tables look bad on blogs.

Let's see...Ruthenia is a tomboy, Ketara is an effeminate male (in conventional terms). Ruthenia primarily demands things of others, Ketara willingly accedes to others. Ruthenia hates being told what to do and actively resists anyone's attempts to do so; being told what to do and doing it without fuss almost defines the entirety of Ketara's characterisation. Ruthenia is a selfish realist who sees the world as a cruel place and all people as being themselves selfish, but Ketara's world view is about the direct opposite--he is a selfless idealist who wants to believes the best of everyone and will not condemn. Ruthenia pretty much doesn't care about beauty, visual, aural, psychological, etc. while Ketara is easily amazed by the same. Needless to say the former is a sloppy dresser and commonly viewed as unattractive, while the latter is practically attractiveness personified.

Strangely enough, their MBTI profiles (this again!) are ENFP and ESTP respectively. Is that disparity in how they choose to process input and form conclusions (in characterisation terms at least), one through cold, calculative logic and the other through considering heartfelt concerns, really enough to set their personalities apart?

I suppose I've only covered the differences in their thought processes. Both are dominant (as opposed to submissive) types: they will take active steps to have what they desire, even if the things they desire seem entirely disparate.

(Or of course it could just be my differing taste with regards to main characters of the two sexes. It's no secret that I'm particularly drawn to people straddling the line between, and I don't just mean fictionally.)

I really should analyse my characterisation, it reveals things about my own mind, and it somewhat amazes me how real these personalities can grow (in my mind) after a few years with them. I know I'm guilty of referring to them like acquaintances sometimes. :P