...

15.9.12

internet relativity...

Time seems to pass faster online than in real life. It's this odd sense, the lack of temporal boundaries on your online activities makes everything seem continuous and unsegmented. And because we're so used to having our time so emphatically segmented in lessons or in TV schedules or in the school year, we think in regular pieces of time now. And the lack of segmentation online makes everything seem like it happened in the same hour, the same month, the same year.

It really does go beyond the mere senseless gaming or internet surfing that we're mostly familiar with; time also "passes faster" on a larger scale.

I only just realised that I shifted my tagboard onto a page two years ago. And I was almost certain I did so early this year! It's similar to pop music and how your music taste is not demarcated into years either even though the charts are. I cannot seem to comprehend that California Gurls was two years ago, or that I discovered Dispute from MapleStory near four years ago. Everything seems so recent. Is it me or is time accelerating relative to the rate at which I do new things?