...

22.11.10

in commemoration of my first nanowrimo

There, so I have finished my 50,000 word count for NaNoWriMo (I actually did so yesterday, and presently the word count stands at 56,422).

It has been so, so, so refreshing. I never thought writing a novel by force would be so enjoyable an experience--in fact, I was afraid at first because I hate forced inspiration.

But I was lucky this year, and received inspiration right before NaNoWriMo started. And thus I stand with a 33% complete novel, written in a quarter the time it would have normally taken. I think it's safe to say I've mastered the art of focusing on the job at hand. I'm going to be eternally grateful for this gift.

So, for people who don't know or can't be bothered to find out, I wrote a fantasy (it's not like I've ever written a novel in any other genre). Specifically a Steampunk fantasy (it fits majority of the features, at least). The main character is a mechanic--a very, very controversial job.

If I were allowed to summarise it, it's about about the conflict between religion and science, societal divisions, the definition of freedom and the cage of nostalgia. That's just to make it sound good.

As for the rest: the antagonist is a giant flying fish with family problems, the main character rides on an umbrella, and there are koi in the drains. (Better Than It Sounds? Really?)

The country is flight-based, their religion is flight-based--pretty aesthetically but all so impossible.

I like impossibility. It's yummy.