...

31.3.11

crying till you can cry no more

So March is ending. Yesterday was my birthday, and I got fewer birthday presents than ever. But also the most meaningful. Because last year it was easy to find people who would remember your birthday because there was a class birthday list. This year, though, the presents came from the people who genuinely remembered, because the day means something to them.

The rest greeted me on Facebook, and I'm utterly grateful for those too. But well, the smaller number of personally-presented gifts only serves to make them more valuable.

---

So March is ending, and today definitely goes in my top 30 worst days since I left Primary School. I flunked a Chem quiz because I slept too little and panicked because I couldn't get my mind into the right state. Then someone in class nicely hurt my feelings, and while I don't think she meant to, it widened an already-open wound. I cried three quarters of GP away in the toilet. Ok, I'm whiny, but isn't it justified? Or is it not? Why are my standards so screwed up?

And thereafter, to top things off, I lost my wallet. Oh, my wallet with my booking slip and bus ticket collections. And my library card, my EZ-link card, almost 200 dollars, and...the wallet itself. Possibly the prettiest wallet I've ever had the privilege to own.

I had to miss lunch, and stayed back in school for 2 hours just looking for it. Ultimately futilely. And now my plans for tomorrow are screwed up, because I'm going to have to, on top of losing $170+, spend even MORE money taking public transport with coins. Standard Tickets KILL.

I think I can recover. Maybe I can. But it's going to take a long time to forget the sting of losing $170. My bus ticket collection will have to start over. The letter from Grace is gone. So is a major part of my RGS memories: my bookings.

I really could cry more, I feel. But I've already cried all the tears out. I'm empty like a drought-stricken plain.

---

The only upside to today, really, was fourth block break today. And really, it's almost enough to fill my day up again. HT wasn't there, sadly (we did meet her at the end though) but AF was, along with an entire bunch of RI guys whom we've befriended since entering RJ. Of all things we could have, we discussed programming rules, some teacher's terrible math skills, and logic. Yes, I couldn't ask for better company.

'That is an appeal to logic. I refute logic.'

You know what, all considered, I think the guys here are nowhere near as bad as I thought they'd be when school began. Some do fit my idea of 'the typical guy'. But thanks to Facebook and Aofei, I've found the suitably atypical guys I'm not against befriending. Namely the sorta-weird, not-really-macho, and FRIGHTENINGLY SMART ones.

And those are the very same people I'll be meeting again tomorrow for combined birthday celebrations. Then will come Astro day, which, despite taking up a perfectly good holiday, I don't mind attending at all.

I want to sleep early today. Get my head back. Work out my chem test and find out of I'm stupid, or if it was really panic.